Diagnosis of a brain tumor

A man who was rushed to hospital with an ear infection has been told he has just months to live after his illness was found to be a terminal brain tumour.

Dave Whitford, 49, first realized something was wrong when he felt dizzy and started vomiting as he sat in his garden.

The next day he was rushed to hospital where doctors told him he had an inner ear infection caused by an insect bite.

Because Dave still felt ill and had trouble balancing, doctors performed a CT scan on his head, which revealed a small growth on his brain.

The mass was monitored for two years and as it began to grow, doctors decided to remove it. They then discovered that the lump was actually an incurable brain tumor.

Dave was devastated when he was told he had between a year and 18 months left to live.

He said: “When they took it out, it took them a month to find out how bad it was.

“They thought it might have been a grade 2 tumor initially but it was checked out and came back to grade 4 which is the worst.

“I have 12 to 18 months left to live but I could live longer, I don’t know.

“When I found out, I just cried. I was just devastated.

The father-of-one said he would like to tour the United States and even threw a party for his 50th birthday in case he doesn’t make it.

Dave, from Sheffield, South Yorkshire, said: ‘My 50th birthday is in May so I threw a birthday party last year in case I didn’t make it to 50.

“So I invited around 60 people, including all my family and friends, to celebrate.”

(Dave Whitford/SWNS)

(Dave Whitford/SWNS)

Along with having the lump removed, Dave also underwent chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

But because he has undergone so many treatments and part of his brain has been removed, he now suffers from debilitating side effects such as short-term memory loss and fatigue.

He said: “I have no energy and I get cold very easily, so I have to have special sheets to keep warm.

“They operated on the left side, so I have ringing in my ear, which is quite annoying, especially when I’m trying to fall asleep.

(Dave Whitford/SWNS)

“It affects people differently and it affects my short-term memory, so I forget a lot of things.”

Dave worked as a bus driver until he fell ill, as he had his driver’s license revoked as soon as doctors found the mass on his brain.

He has been able to work in various roles doing odd jobs for people over the past three years, but now, due to the severity of his symptoms, he has had to stop working.

Dave has set up a Go Fund Me page to help with expenses while he is unable to work.

Leave a Comment