Convicted child sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell has said a decades-old photo of Prince Andrew with his sex abuse accuser Virginia Giuffre was ‘fake’, in a series of interviews from prison.
The disgraced British socialite is currently serving a 20-year sentence in US federal prison for carrying out a years-long plan with her longtime confidant Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls.
Speaking from a Florida jail to British broadcaster TalkTV, which aired a special on Monday night, the 61-year-old – who also appears in the photo – said she “didn’t believe this had happened “.
“I don’t believe it’s real for a second, in fact, I’m sure it isn’t.” There was never an original. I don’t believe that happened and certainly the way it is described would have been impossible. I have no memory of going to Tramp [nightclub]“, said Maxwell.
Prince Andrew, who is one of King Charles III’s younger brothers, has strenuously denied Giuffre’s allegation that he was introduced to her at London’s Tramp nightclub in 2001 with Maxwell, before Giuffre, then aged 17, is forced to perform sexual acts with the British royal.
Giuffre filed a civil lawsuit in US court in 2021 against Andrew, also known as the Duke of York, alleging sexual abuse when she was underage on multiple occasions. Andrew then settled an undisclosed character out of court without admitting any wrongdoing and the case was closed. Still, the allegations against the senior royal have seriously tarnished his reputation. He stepped down from royal duties at the end of 2019 and was stripped of his military titles and royal patronages last year.
Maxwell appeared to show Epstein little remorse victims and offered no apologies in interviews aired on Monday. Instead, she said victims should “take their disappointment and be angry at the authorities who allowed” the billionaire pedophile to die in prison.
Maxwell also told TalkTV she believes Epstein was murdered – a conspiracy theory for which she has provided no evidence. Authorities have ruled Epstein died by suicide in 2019 while awaiting trial on federal charges accusing him of sexually abusing underage girls.
Regarding the victims, Maxwell said, “Hopefully they will have some closure through the legal process that has taken place.”
Maxwell admitted at her sentencing hearing last year that she had been convicted of sex trafficking, but did not take responsibility. She did not testify for her defense at the trial in late 2021, which ended in her conviction on five counts, including sex trafficking of a minor.