Teenager discharged from hospital after fatal flu

Beckett Reiff’s parents said complications from the flu led to pneumonia, septic shock and a staph infection in his blood.

MEAD, Colo — A freshman at Mead High School has returned home after spending seven weeks at Colorado Children’s Hospital.

Beckett Reiff developed complications from the flu and was placed on life support in mid-December.

“We’ve been told many times that they don’t know why he’s still there, but he is,” his mother Julie Reiff said in December.

Her parents said complications from the flu led to pneumonia, septic shock and a staph infection in her blood. Doctors ultimately had to make the difficult decision to amputate one of his legs to keep him alive.

It was a tough choice for a three-sport high school athlete, but Beckett isn’t letting that stop him. On Tuesday, he was released from Children’s. He said he planned to play sports again. It’s a decision her mother called incredibly inspiring.

“When Beckett found out about his leg, he blinked for about a second when we had to tell him what happened when he didn’t know. Then he looked at us and said ‘ thanks “and from there he just looked forward to what he can do from now on,” Julie Reiff said. “Nothing can stop him, and he will find a way to achieve his dreams, whatever they may be.”

Beckett likely won’t be back to school in person this year, but plans to keep up the pace virtually. He is looking to get fitted for a prosthesis in the next few months and to get back into sport.

“I want to go snowmobiling this year,” he says with a smile. “There were a lot of changes, but everything got better and there were so many people who helped me.”

The Reiff family said they are looking forward to the next stage of Beckett’s recovery. His parents know it won’t be an easy journey, but they said they let Beckett choose the pace.

They said they were incredibly grateful for the support they received from the Mead community and around the world.



Leave a Comment